Case Studies

Blenheim Palace

“The Blenheim cascade in the heart of the estate’s grounds was first used for hydropower as early as the 1920’s when the horizontal axis double- vortex turbine became popular in the UK. There remains today two of these turbines as relics of the past use of the dam, charging portable batteries which were then wheeled by barrow up to the palace to run early electric lighting, before later being replaced with a direct cable.

Following the extensive refurbishment of the main dam that was designed and built by Lancelott Capability-Brown C1760, Blenheim Estate has commissioned Hallidays Hydropower to once again generate electricity from this site.”